By Donald Bindner, Martin J. Erickson, Joe HemmeterPresents a transparent bridge among arithmetic and the liberal arts
Mathematics for the Liberal Arts provides a understandable and certain advent to fashionable arithmetic intertwined with the heritage of mathematical discoveries. The ebook discusses mathematical rules within the context of the unfolding tale of human inspiration and highlights the appliance of arithmetic in daily life.
Divided into components, Mathematics for the Liberal Arts first strains the historical past of arithmetic from the traditional international to the center a while, then strikes directly to the Renaissance and finishes with the advance of recent arithmetic. within the moment half, the publication explores significant issues of calculus and quantity concept, together with problem-solving innovations and real-world functions. This ebook emphasizes studying via doing, provides a pragmatic method, and features:
- A particular clarification of why mathematical ideas are precise and the way the mathematical procedures work
- Numerous figures and diagrams in addition to enormous quantities of labored examples and workouts, supporting readers to extra visualize the provided concepts
- Various real-world functional functions of arithmetic, together with error-correcting codes and the gap trip program
- Vignette biographies of well known mathematicians
- Appendices with suggestions to chose routines and recommendations for additional reading
Mathematics for the Liberal Arts is a very good creation to the historical past and ideas of arithmetic for undergraduate liberal arts scholars and readers in non-scientific fields wishing to achieve a greater figuring out of arithmetic and mathematical problem-solving skills.